When I first posted about Noble radio, the transceiver was still under development and looked quite different from the final product. Now the radio is for real; time to give the product some more attention.
The NR-4SC is a simple to use 10 Watt (minimum) 4 Meter SSB/ CW transceiver. The radio operates USB and CW. The NR-4SC uses a single conversion design with an IF frequency of 10.7 MHz. Front end bandpass filters limit out of band signals into the RF Preamp stage.
A double balanced diode ring mixer provides good strong signal handling capability. There are two 8-pole crystal filters following the mixer which are designed for 3.0 kHz and 500 Hz -6 dB bandwidths. The 3 kHz filter allows for good SSB voice fidelity while the 500 Hz filter provides good adjacent channel rejection on CW. Either filter can be selected in both modes.
Two IF amplifier stages and fast attack AGC provide good receiver sensitivity while leveling the audio output on strong signals. AGC action starts at approximately a -120 dBm input signal level. The local oscillator is derived from a DDS/PLL circuit providing a high degree of stability and low noise. A high stability 107.374 MHz reference oscillator is used for all local oscillator generation. The high frequency provides low DDS spurious output. The transceiver offers a 10.7MHz IF out on the back panel for connection to an SDR so it may be used with a PC for a Spectral Display.
Other features of the NR-4SC include RIT (Receiver Incremental Tuning) and SPLIT mode functions as well as a built in Iambic Keyer for CW. The AGC rate has a FAST and SLOW speed to suit operator preference.
GVXE was the first to post some first impressions, and added an extra article later in time about the radio being subjected to strong signals.
2) 10 Watt output power
3) Built in Iambic keyer
4) Analog S-meter, not a bargraph.
7) Variable Speed Tuning VST
8) Wide and Narrow filter
9) Fast and Slow selectable AGC
10) Output to key an external Amplifier
11) Can be switched for QSK and Non QSK compatible Amps
12) Simultaneous display of RX and TX frequencies
13) 13.8VDC at 4 Amps TX current
14) 650 mA RX current
15) Built in loudspeaker
16) Audio output .6 Watt
17) 10.7 MHz IF output
18) RX Sensitivity -130 dBm MDS
19) IF rejection greater than 100 dB
20) Blocking dynamic range 107 dB
21) Third Order Dynamic Range = 96db (IP3 = +14 dBm)
22) 2nd Order Dynamic Range 87 dB (IP2 = +44 dBm)
23) TX spurious is better than – 55 dBc which meets CE ETSI EN301 783-1 standards
Price in The Netherlands : € 499,00 incl. 21% Dutch VAT.