So we’re sending some people to Mars, who will surely die there. While I’m not really convinced that this endeavor will ever take place, it made me wonder:
- How will radio radio signals propagate on Mars? Are there layers in the ionosphere (if there is such a thing there) which will allow signals to travel beyond line of sight?
- If ham radio operators go, we need a new prefix. Anything in mind?
- Do we need a ‘Mars band plan’?
- Should we install repeaters on Deimos and Phobos?
- Anything else important we should think of in advance?
Please let me know what your thoughts are, and if you’re planning to apply for the trip – I’m always willing to arrange a sked.