I’ve been experimenting extensively with this Albrecht the last few days. The verdict: this rig has potential, but needs some work. I tried to listen to my own signals at first, but that just doesn’t work. Even with the help of dummy loads, top notch receivers and headphones you can’t get a good idea of your signal quality. Many hams I asked just gave me a “5/9″, while I was almost certain that there were some issues with my modulation. I asked another (very picky) ham close by to give an opinion.
The verdict, TX
- SSB sounds distorted with the ‘mic gain’ to the max. Reducing the gain helps, but it still isn’t pretty,
- FM suffers from the same problem,
- AM sounds brilliant, almost HiFi even.
The verdict, RX
- AGC is way too fast,
- Sensitivity and selectivity are quite good in all modes,
- Again, absolutely brilliant on AM.
I will change the cheap condenser microphone for something better, and check the schematics for the AGC circuitry. Maybe I can mod it easily.